A number of our clients work in the child in care industry and require VET accredited training in first aid, asthma and anaphylaxis.  One of the most common questions that we are asked is "what course should I do to work in childcare?"

Our answer is to refer to the regulator of quality training for childcare workers in Australia - the Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA).  They have a page on their website that enables people to check which first aid, asthma and anaphylaxis course codes they need as a minimum to satisfy the requirements of ACECQA.

You can click here to search the range of qualifications recognised by ACECQA.

For example, if you search for a single course that delivers training in the three subjects of first aid, asthma and anaphylaxis, you would see that there are only two:

  • HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting, and
  • HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid.
Just remember that this will keep ACECQA happy - if you do this course, the regulator will be satisfied that you have sufficient knowledge to operate in child care.  However, individual employers may request that you get qualifications in courses that specifically target asthma and anaphylaxis, such as:
  • 22282VIC Course in emergency asthma management in the workplace and;
  • 22300VIC Course in first aid management of anaphylaxis.
It's up to you to ask your employer directly what they need you to do.

Quimby de Witt 2 Feb 2018 10:29 PM

I was wondering if this course is an online course.

Alexis Stergiopoulos 28 Mar 2018 7:08 PM

Need to do asap

Bruce 8 Sep 2018 8:50 PM

What is the validity period for each of these Units? (ie CPR - 1Yr; First Aid - 3 Yrs

Bruce 8 Sep 2018 8:50 PM

What is the validity period for each of these Units? (ie CPR - 1Yr; First Aid - 3 Yrs)

Jackie Lee 12 Aug 2019 9:33 AM

Hi, I'm interested in the first aid course in asthma and anaphylaxis training including cpr. Pls get back to me asap on 0424062246 thankyou.


We'll never display or share your email address